Help us preserve the history
of our ancestors!
Martin Acadian Homestead and Learning Center is a non-profit public corporation, dedicated to preserving and sharing historic information and activities of the region.
The Martin Acadian Homestead was built between 1823-1860, placed on the National Registry of Historic Places in 2009, and incorporated as the Martin Acadian Homestead and Learning Center in 2019.
Self guided tours, lecture tours, sewing
and hand-craft classes.
We are dedicated to renovating and preserving the history of the homestead. Any monetary donations will be used for this purpose. Thank You!
A Kaleidoscope of Color
A Quilt of Hope
While we are in the “Stay Safe, Stay Home” directive, we are rethinking a project we had for this summer. We are still going to do it, but do it a bit differently.
We will be creating a quilt, hand quilted on an old-fashioned frame
at the Learning Center, to be raffled off at the end of summer.
So…..We need your help to do this. This is a community, stay at home project.
We are asking volunteers to make a 10x10 inch square, your choice of color,
with the stash you have on hand. Once your square is finished you can drop it off
to the plastic tote on the porch at 137 St. Catherine Street.
When we have 48 squares, we will begin to put the quilt together. Please put your name and contact information on a piece of paper, pinned to the square, and let us know if you would like to help with the quilting process.
If we are free to roam, once we collect the squares, and you would like to help in the quilting process, we will contact you. Once the quilt is finished,
we will share a picture of the quilt on our website as well as our Facebook page,
and begin selling raffle tickets.
To participate in the raffle, people may contact us through our Facebook page, our website, or by email. Tickets are $1 for one, $5 for 6, or an arm length for $10. (Lois’ arm length is 25 inches!) We will put your contact information on your tickets and you will not have to be present to win. Checks can be made out to MAHLC and mailed to 137 St Catherine Street, Madawaska, ME, 04756.
Payment can also be made through our Facebook page (Martin Acadian Homestead and Learning Center) or you may request an invoice through Square or PayPal.
We can’t wait to see all the wonderful squares of color!!
75% of the proceeds from the raffle will be donated to the Madawaska Food Pantry to help replenish their shelves from our current situation. The other 25% will be used to finish the quilt, batting, etc.
Someone will take home a beautiful “Quilt of Hope” to help remind them that sometimes, hope is all we need!
For more information, please email, call, or message Lois on Facebook.